NORTH ROAD, MILLBURNGATE AND FRAMWELLGATE
The boroughs of Framwellgate and Millburngate are situated next to one another and were on the route north out of the city. This route north was used by the Pack Trains so many shops and trades existed in this area.
The Fram Wellhead was built in the 15th century and restored in the 19th century. It is a long stone structure with a slender buttress at each corner (now buried nearly to the top) and a pyramidical stone roof. A stone slab inside it records "This spring was given for the use of the inhabitants of the City of Durham for ever by Thomas Billingham, Esq by deed dated the 30 March 1450" and also records that it was rebuilt on the same site and of the original erection in 1847. Surtees view shows a second structure with a spout (a pant) a little lower down the hill, but this has disappeared .
A drinking fountain between Atherton street and the pier of the viaduct was 12' high and 8' wide and had a gargoyle from whose mouth the water flowed. The fountain is in the early French Gothic style, and was erected in 1833 on the site given by the North Eastern Railway Co. It had been moved to its present site in the course of alterations. The water is obtained from Flass Well Spring at the foot of Red Hills, sited in Ainsley Street adjacent to the Miners Hall [1, 5].
There are many streams in this area which are underground These caused a marshy area and are due to overflows from the wells in Crossgate. Millburn runs in a conduit below North Road 1, (possibly comes out under Framwellgate bridge). This stream used to drive mills, namely Clock Mill in Millburngate and a mill-race at Tenters Hill (it was reported to be 15’ - 20' in width)
In olden days, the residencies of the North Country nobility were situated here before modern transport enabled them to live in London mansions. The modern road north from Millburngate is called North Road and was built in 1840. After its building the north part of the city expanded.
Durham at that time was the county's focal point with regards to travelling. Due to the large number of Public Houses (estimated 120), the Shakespeare Hall was built in North Road to aid the spirit of temperance. Framwellgate was once a prosperous merchant area but became slums over time and most of the buildings were demolished. A 18th century house along Castle Chare with beautiful plasterwork was however saved. This house overlooks the new bypass roundabout and was once the Wheatsheaf Inn, it became a Convent and an Arts Centre at one time.
The Ford to Walkergate from Millburngate was known as 'Horse Hole'. Albany Theatre once stood on the hillside overlooking the river in the Millburngate area.
Crook Hall looks over the river where the ferry and ford crossed the river to the Sands .
The Five Ways Inn was situated at the corner of North Road, Framwellgate, Millburngate and Crossgate. Public houses around this area but no longer here are:
Wheatsheaf Inn (was an Arts centre) .
the Woolpack Inn, former coaching inn was close by, and
the Tanners Arms up Framwellgate.
Mustard was originally ground in 1720 and there was at one time 3 power driven mills in Durham, namely:
Ainsley's at corner of Waddington Street  (the last one and sold to Colemans in 1897),
John Balmbrough at the foot of Silver Street, and
Simpson and William at Station Lane, Gilesgate .